Sunday, November 13, 2011

Most Recent Stick


I guess as good a place to start is with a picture of the stick i most recently finished.  This one is a Shepherds crook in a style of my own that i really like. I take a small horn that would not normally be used for stick making but that has a nice natural curve and fits in a hand well.  I take off the outer layer of dirty horn then sand it down.  I fill the horn to add weight then i use a piece of wood to taper from the horn to a reasonable thickness for adding a shank.  In this case the tapered piece is actually 2 pieces, maple burl and black walnut.  the shank is a very nice piece of hazel that has a lot of sort of gold flecks in it.  When i put sticks on my web site for sale i usually put up 2 pictures, one that shows the detail of the head and one that shows the full length of the stick. So I will do the same here.

No comments:

Post a Comment